Customer Service FAQ: NMVTIS Reporting
ADD's wonderful customer service representatives answer your NMVTIS salvage reporting questions!
I own more than one business or location. Do I need to have more than one account and NMVTIS ID?
If you have more than one business, you will need a separate account and NMVTIS ID for each business.
If you have a single business with multiple locations, you have two account options:
- If you prefer that each location have a unique account and record manifest (archive) with only the vehicle reports for that location, two separate accounts can be set up. This will also provide financial separation for the pre-paid account balances. Each location will be assigned a unique NMVTIS ID number and ADD PIN.
- If you prefer to have records from all locations available in a single record manifest, paid from one pre-paid account, a unique NMVTIS number and ADD PIN will be assigned and each location will be assigned a reporting “profile” within the single account.
I have multiple employees that will need to access the website at the same time, does ADD allow them to do this? Is there an additional cost to add more users?
Multiple users are allowed to access the site at the same time. Each person accessing the website will need to be added as a user on the account, and they will be given their own username and password. ADD allows you to add as many users as you’d like at no additional cost. For security purposes, if the same username and password is used to log in on more than one computer at the same time, your session will be ended and you will be logged out.
I have to upload a large number of vehicles; do I have to submit them one at a time? Can I use my management system?
For businesses interested in batch reporting, ADD offers several different batch and management system options with a Full Service account.
- Management System Upload - Most management systems have export modules or utilities built in that will create a batch file for upload to ADD. If your management system does not offer this option, feel free to contact ADD, and we can reach out to your provider about adding this functionality.
- Batch (Spreadsheet) Upload - Users without management systems can download a batch template from ADD that allows users to upload batches of vehicle information collected on an Excel spreadsheet. Industry-specific upload templates can be found on the Batch Entry page under Spreadsheet Upload after log-in.
- Business-to-Business Upload-For business with IT staff, ADD offers reporting via a webservice that allows batch reporting for larger entities uploading high volumes of information. Businesses interested in this option should contact ADD for more information.
Do I have to type in my NMVTIS ID and ADD PIN each time I submit a report?
Each business that reports vehicles to the NMVTIS database through ADD has both a NMVTIS ID and an ADD PIN.
- The NMVTIS ID for use by the national database, law enforcement, states and other stakeholders to identify reporting entities.
- The ADD PIN is assigned by ADD, and is a security feature intended to provide your company additional account and data safety.
With ADD's free Basic Service, users are required to enter the NMVTIS ID and PIN for each report submitted. Full Service users have the option to set up a profile that will auto-fill your company information, including the NMVTIS ID and PIN.
When making a NMVTIS report, what date is the “Obtained Date”?
The Obtained Date for NMVTIS reporting differs slightly by industry, but generally refers to the date that a business obtained the ownership rights to the vehicle.
- Salvage operators should report the date on which the automobile was received, purchased or taken into in inventory.
- Tow operators should report the date on which they obtained the right to decide what would happen to the vehicle. This may be the date the towing company obtained a salvage certificate, the date the towing company obtained a certificate of destruction, or the date the towing company purchased the vehicle either for a monetary amount or in lieu of towing and storage costs.
- Insurance carriers should report the date on which the automobile was obtained or designated as a total loss, junk or salvage automobile, however, if that information is not available, insurers may report the date of loss or the date the total loss claim was paid in lieu of the date the total loss determination was made.
I accidentally reported the wrong VIN to NMVTIS, is this something I can fix?
Yes, ADD users have the ability to report records submitted in error. This function is available in all NMVTIS accounts.
- Full Service users can report record submitted in error by clicking the eraser icon in the Record Manifest.
- Basic Services users can submit error reports by entering the VIN and Record ID from the confirmation email.